Sunday, October 10, 2010

Procrastination....

Hello everyone. This weekend I was supposed to be a good student and write a review for a play we saw in class and start my paper for Irish Cinema. However, I'm super lazy and tend to procrastinate a lot. I should at least write my review because it is due Tuesday and it's only 500 words. But I find that I do not like writing reviews because I'm not good at writing in a critical sort of way. I'm choosing to write a review on The Plough and The Stars, because that is the only play we've seen so far that I liked. We saw The Silver Tassie this week, also written by the same man who wrote The Plough and The Stars. However, The Silver Tassie was very boring and I didn't have any attachment to the characters. We had cool balcony seats though.

Last week in Irish Drama we looked at Samuel Beckett, who was an avant-garde playwright in the 50s. His plays are very contemporary and experimental. I think I'd be very interested in his work, even though I'm not much of a theater person. Last night we saw a Beckett play called An Act Without Words II. The audience, which was very small, met up at a hotel and we were taken to the site of the play, which was in an alley behind the theater. All we saw was two sleeping bags and a neat pile of clothes. A door opens with a beam of light, and a pole pokes the first sleeping bag, and it is revealed that someone is waking up inside it. The performance was only a half hour, and there were no words. It was just two men waking up, putting on the clothes, taking them off, and curling back into the sleeping bags. The actors were great. I actually like it because I felt like I wasn't watching a performance. The rest of my friends didn't really like it. They complained it was a waste of 15 euro, and that they could watch the same thing for free in the streets of New York. But I guess Beckett really isn't for everyone.

I'm really excited because my fall break is next week! We leave for Paris on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment