Monday, September 6, 2010

Day Trip to Howth

Hello everyone! Today I woke up at 1 PM after a good night of sleep. Most people were going out for lunch, but I had gone grocery shopping last night so I ate my cereal (which was pretty bland) with orange juice. I finally got to talk to my boyfriend on Skype. The time difference makes it difficult to do so.

Sourabh came up with a great idea to visit a fishing village outside the city. So all 18 of us met up and tried to figure out where to go. We didn't know what village to go to, just that we wanted to go to one. So we walked through the city to the DART Train.

St. Patrick's Church Park


The ticket booth man said Howth was a place to go, so we spent 4 Euro and 20 cents for a round trip ticket. Today the weather was chilly and rainy. It was more or less drizzling all day, and in Howth it was foggy cause we were so close to the water. Our large group split up into 2 different groups so we each could do our own thing. My group checked out the area around the water. We walked along the beach before walking in town.

There were seals in the water!



A small view of Howth
Walking on the beach


The town along the water was super cute. Since it was Sunday most places were closed, but pubs and restaurants were still open. We didn't have any places in mind to go, so we just walked around. We went up a staircase that lead up to the suburban area elevated above the water. We took pictures at a lookout point and walked back down again. I was really craving some fish n' chips. The others wanted to hit up another pub on our way back. We walked to the edge where there was more water, then turned back to explore more.


Me, Paulo, and Kasey

We were going to look at a church, but Ellis noticed a bar called The Cock Tavern and wanted to take a picture of it. There was an old cemetery nearby where we took pictures. We saw the other half of our group again. They still wanted to go exploring, my group wanted to get drinks in the tavern, and I wanted food. My suitemate Anna and I went into a restaurant across the street and got fish n' chips. I think I found my new favorite meal.

Afterwards we met everyone back in the tavern for drinks. The locals were very nice and welcoming. One man gave up his stool for me and Anna. He asked me if I was from Texas because he really wanted to hear my accent. That amused me. There was live Irish music being performed. I felt like I was having a real Irish experience! I ordered an Irish coffee. I thought it was coffee with Bailey's, but it's coffee with whiskey. I don't like whiskey, but the drink was alright. Somehow Stephanie was forced to go up and sing a song, but she didn't know any Irish songs. She ended up singing The Cranberries with one of the performers. The locals cheered her on.

I indulged in one more drink, Bailey's on the rocks. Everyone else had had 4 drinks already. Drinks were pretty cheap. Mine were both 3 Euro each. We had a great time, and the bartender was very flirtatious with Stephanie. When we left the locals said goodbye and told us to come back. Maybe we will!

We met up with the rest of our large group at a pub called The Blood Stream. We took the train back.

My screenwriting class starts tomorrow at 2pm! My schedule is pretty nice. I have one class a day Monday thru Friday from 2pm to 5pm each day (except Friday, which is 10am-1pm).

No comments:

Post a Comment