Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Plough and The Stars

Production still from The Plough and The Stars

Hello everyone! Yesterday I had my Contemporary Irish Theater class. We had to read an Irish play called The Plough and The Stars by Sean O'Casey. It was such a boring read---I didn't really retain what I was reading after awhile. However, we were going to see the play at the Abbey Theater after class. I wasn't too enthusiastic about seeing a play, especially since it's 4 acts.

The play is set I think during the first World War, where Ireland is trying to liberate itself from the British. It follows a group of people who live in a tenement in Dublin. It shows how the war affects them all.

Lemme tell you, I was amazed by this play. All of us had second row, which was really good seats. The play was so much better to watch than to read. And the performances were amazing. Every actor/actress did a brilliant job, no matter how long they were on stage for. And the last 3 acts were completely heartbreaking. I nearly cried. One part of the play was so sad, and some teenagers in the audience started laughing, which took me out a little bit. All of us really enjoyed it regardless.

I have a big weekend to look forward to! Tisch is taking us to the Aran Islands and Galway!

No comments:

Post a Comment