Thursday, September 9, 2010

Night Out in Dublin


Hello friends. Yesterday was a fun day. After Screenwriting I went with Kasey and Kathleen in search of the supermarket Tesco. It has more stuff and is cheaper than the markets we live near. Kasey looked up the directions on Google Maps and we attempted the mile walk.

Since we are not familiar with the area, we got a little lost in a neighborhood. It wasn't so bad because I really enjoyed looking at all the houses. They were so cute!


We did a lot of going one way and realizing we went the wrong way so we'd turn back. Eventually we got on the right track and made it to the main road where Tesco was. I saw another rainbow on the way. We stopped in a beauty store called Boots, and I got hair ties, shaving cream, and lotion.  The interesting thing about the Irish is that they hardly use plastic bags. If you ever buy something in a store, the cashier will either ask you if you want a bag or just won't give you one unless you say so. Everyone uses the re-usable bags, carry their stuff, or bring their own bags. I had brought my big purses to carry groceries, but in the end I bought a re-usable bag from Tesco.

I bought a lot more stuff like meat, vegetable, milk, orange juice, bananas, bagels, soda, and pasta. The last time I went shopping it cost me 50 Euro. This time it cost me 29 Euro and I think I bought more stuff, if not the same amount. Regardless, I should be well fed for awhile.

Later that night a few people wanted to go out bar hopping. We pre-gamed with cheap vodka Ellis bought, and then went out to an area where there was lots of young people hanging out. We stopped in one bar that was filled with people our age and had great music. I only bought one drink because they were a little pricey there. We were trying to look for some people we could meet, but approaching people in bars is kinda awkward. Stephanie and Kathleen spotted two boys heading over to the smoking section and immediately went to try and talk with them. Paulo also went with them? Me, Ellis, and Natalie just sat waiting for them, but Paulo returned saying the four of them were taking. So we walked over to see them. Sure enough, Kathleen and Stephanie were talking to the two guys, who later introduced themselves as Sean and David. They looked young, but they had to be over 18.

Next to those four were two men. One of them was really drunk and starting talking to us, so we told them we were from the US. The drunk one was from England, and I assumed his sober friend was from the area. The drunk guy was amusing, until he started getting annoyed with Ellis for no reason and starting mocking him. His sober friend apologized on his behalf, but I'm sure we've all been in that situation before.

We all left the bar with Sean and David, having no idea where they were taking us. As it turns out, there is one street where is a bunch of clubs all in a row, and they took us to one. We found out it was a club because it was 5 Euro to get in. That's cheaper that getting into a club in NYC, which is usually $20, $10 if you go before a certain time. The club was pretty much empty even though is was after midnight, but when we went down to the dance floor it got crowded fast.

Paulo, Me and Ellis

Ellis, Me and Stephanie (with Paulo in the back?)

At first the music was lame, then it got really good and we started dancing. Then after an hour the music got lame again, then repeated the same songs as before. By 2 am me, Ellis, and Natalie were tired and ready to leave but Kathleen and Stephanie were having fun with their new found friends. The three of us including Paulo went outside to wait for them to come out. The street was filled with people leaving or going into clubs at 3 AM. While sitting outside we met 2 French people and a guy looking for weed. It reminded me so much of New York City. Kathleen and Stephanie found us. Kathleen got David's number and Stephanie got Sean's. It made me and Ellis miss our boyfriends a whole lot. We all walked home (still filled with drunk people going home) and didn't get back until after 3:30 am.

I didn't expect to be out so late. I had class at 2pm today so it wasn't a big deal, but I was a little tired. I had Contemporary Irish Cinema with Susanne, who is the director of the program. The class is interesting, but sitting in a lecture is so exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment