Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Immigration and Penelope

Hello friends! Yesterday all the screenwriting students had to be at the Tisch Office by 10 am so we could all head to immigration to get our Irish ID cards. When we first came into the country the immigration officer gave us a stamp telling us when we needed to get our ID cards. Some lucky bastards got a stamp that lasted until they had to go home. My stamp said I had one month from the arrival date.

I forgot my passport so me and my classmate Anthony went back to our rooms to get out passports, then we had to go to the immigration office. We had to wait in line for a number, then wait hours just to get called. When I got there they were calling 100. My number was 236. While waiting I went to a nearby park with my class, went back to the office, got lunch, dozed off in the waiting room, and sat around waiting for my number. When I was finally called I had to show my acceptance letter and pay 150 Euro (about $190) for the card. That was annoying.

Then I had to wait another hour just to get my passport and ID. What was even more annoying was that the man giving out the passport and IDs took his sweet time. We all got to class late, so Colin taught us until 7pm.

Today I was tired and not in the mood for class. I didn't do all of the reading for Irish Theatre but I was able to bullshit like I did. Tonight we had to see a play as a requirement for the class. The play was called Penelope and it was a take on the story about Odysseus' wife Penelope and how she was pursued by different men while he was gone. The play is set at the bottom of a drained pool, where four men try to win Penelope's love before her husband comes home. I couldn't get into it because I was so tired, but it seemed alright. I wish I could see it again so I could have appreciate it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment